Sunday, March 29, 2009

Unless a grain of wheat falls

I've been feeling so many different things this week...frustrationg, sadness, joy...I often find it hard to put these things into words, which is why my blog largely consists of cute pictures and bizzare news stories.

Thankfully, there are people out there who are so much more eloquent than I am. One of those is Ann Siddall at the Stillpoint Spirituality Centre. We used this prayer in church this morning, and it helped me to sum up and let go of much of what has been on my mind.

Unless a grain of wheat falls

Redeeming God,
on these autumn days it is easy to see
how what was once so alive and fruitful
now falls to the ground and dies.
The seasons of the earth mirror
a reality we tend to resist.
May be wise in finding our way
through life’s many endings.

In the ending of death,
grant us the freedom to grieve,
and to honour what has been.

In the endings of broken relationships,
save us from bitterness, and
move us towards wholeness.

In the endings that are forced upon us,
may we have the strength to survive,
and the discernment to find the next step.

In the endings we have chosen,
but that others may not understand,
help us to act with love and compassion.

In the endings that are invited of us,
may we have the courage to let go,
and to relinquish graciously.

And in our remembering of Jesus’ words
about a grain of wheat falling to the earth,
may we always be attentive
to the hope of new life.
--Ann Siddall, Stillpoint Spirituality Centre

We also sang a song, one of my personal favourites, which was written by a friend of mine at an ending...and it always inspires me, but especially so this week. I've been thinking more on the death of Amanda (see previous post), and how if someone with her courage couldn't beat this evil we call cancer, what will happen to me if I should be so unfortunate to have something of that magnitude happen to me. And if I died, would there be posts on a dozen different blogs on the tragedy of my passing? Would people be so bereft at my death, even people who don't know me? I doubt it. But I can do what I can to attempt to brighten the lives of those around me. I think I need to be more conscious of these things.

Any way, this is the song.

Like a candle burning wildly
Raging soft agains the night
Spark that leaps to clear the shadows
Sending warm disturbing light
We are called to live the passion
Hope stands strong agains all pain
For it's only in the burning
That the candle shows its flame

Like a river running freely
Rapids swirl beside our feet
Swiftly flowing from the highlands
Comes to rest, still waters meet
All our journeys rising, falling
Taking turns we least expect
When the Spirit turns withing us
Know God's power through the test

Like and angel walking lightly
On this fragile earth of clay
Touching folk with raw compassion
Laughing, playing on the way
Freely living every moment
In the mystery of grace
Giving, dying, living, rising
See the beauty of God's grace

See the hope that burns in darkness
Show compassion strong and kind
Bind the hurt and broken hearted
Be God's hands and voice and eyes
Sing a new song every sunrise
Climb to places out of reach
Walk in freedom of God's spirit
As we die so we shall live

We are called to live the passion
Hope stands strong agains all pain
For it's only in the burning
That the candle shows its flame
--Craig Mitchell

No comments: