Monday, April 14, 2008

somewhat surprising

I've sort of been toying with the idea of starting a new blog for a while. I say new, really, I mean, one that I actually use and that is actually relevant compared to the one I started nearly 2 years ago. One that I can blog anything random that occurs to me. That said, you then have to give it a title, and that should say something about the content, you'd think. I mean, 'Rachel's Blog' is a stupid name for a blog if you're not 14, right? So I figured that the older I get (which makes me sounds like a middle aged twat, but meh) the more things that seem to surprise me. Which seems to me to be contradictory, because the more that you see, the less that should surprise you. But it doesn't seem to work like that.

For example, yesterday I was surprised by my own reaction to the news that someone I don't know, who I know only by a screen name and some rather witty/bitchy/snarky comments on another site, has leukaemia. Why do I care as much as I do? I mean, sure, I'm human, but you occasionally hear that celebrities or some such have these nasty diseases, yet my reaction to that sort of news is totally different. Surely it should be the same? In both instances these are total strangers who are not much more than a name to me, maybe a face. Yet I feel differently and that surprises me.

So, I figure I can blog things that surprise me. And all sorts of other random stuff that won't ever be relevant. Don't say you weren't warned. I say 'you', I'm assuming one day someone might actually read this...is that egotistical? I have no idea. But I don't think it really matters, actually...

No comments: