Friday, July 24, 2009

Books

The whole 'read a book a week thing' is going well. Except that I think I accidentally keep reading children's/teen's books...

My third book was 'The Princess Bride' by William Goldman. It was hysterically funny and clever. But is it really a proper grown up book? Probably not. But then again I don't consider myself a proper grown up so I guess it's not a big deal. I'd rather read lighter amusing books and keep reading them than get bogged down in the middle of a heavy story. It's probably a bit like my taste in TV and movies. I hate big dramatic Oscar winning movies. I want movies with laughs and explosions. You can make something that is funny, light and still occasionally has a message, or rips your guts out. Don't believe me? Watch a season of Scrubs or Doctor Who and tell me that it's not both hilarious and gut wrenching at the same time.

My current book is 'The Ruby in the Smoke' by Philip Pullman. I have seen the made-for-TV version of this and thought I should read the book. I was very put out to not be able to find it anywhere, until I realised that it was because it's in the 'Teen' section. Which is rubbish. Sure, the heroine is only 16 but it's Victorian England, 16 is practically middle aged.

Still. I'm sure it's 10000000000000000000 times more intelligent than that Twilight rubbish, and since people my own age and older rave about those book, I feel justfied in reading something supposedly aimed at the same age bracket. I might even get really adventurous and read the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy that people debate over at length. Just to see what all the fuss is about. For those that don't immediately see the connection, they are by the same author as 'The Ruby in the Smoke'. Just thought I'd clarify that.

No comments: