Monday, May 26, 2008

Sometimes governments get it right...

I was hugely excited on Saturday to hear that after years in Baxter followed by community detention, my friend Giwa has been granted a visa to live in Australia, providing he passes a health check and a police check back in Nigeria.

Which is awesome. But I must ask, why does it take so long? Giwa is a teacher, and a christian. It confuses me as to why it takes so long to work out that someone like him is not in anyway a threat to this country. I get that we don't necessarily want people associated with terror cells or other such nastiness to live here permanently. But how hard is it, seriously, to run background checks. I don't buy it.

In other news, I'm trying a new made up recipe tonight, involving rum, bananas and other goodness. Hopefully it goes well and the kitchen doesn't go up in flambe...hmm...

No comments: